There are some components of the Roots that attract impressive geographical coverage and engagement and probably get more spotlight too – Peace Work Institute and Program Festivals (ProFests) are the ones that first come to mind, but if to stress on one bit of Roots that has the closest touch and impact with grassroots beneficiaries, then Local Capacities for Peace Award is the “it”. Each year, partner organizations have the opportunity to make a difference for their communities together with the Roots.
After YMCA Georgia in 2020 and YMCA Kosovo in 2021, we are happy to announce a fresh new Winner this year – YMCA Artsakh! Being one of only a few civil society organizations working with young people in their country, YMCA Artsakh has made an outstanding contribution towards providing life-changing experiences for local youth over the years and has been an integral partner of the Roots since the inception of it.
So the Roots LCP Award is a just reward for the efforts they have been making, especially after the devastating war suffered in late 2020 – from which the country is still recovering. “Camp for Peace” will form part of this process, bringing together around 100 young people in a summer camp environment and offering a wide range of activities aimed towards trauma healing and personal development.
Like last year, the Call to receive the Award had only one entry, therefore the element of competition was not in place. Instead, we reached out to Roots Peace Work institute Alumni – sending the project proposal from YMCA Artsakh and asking for their evaluation of it.
The feedback from 16 respondents (around 50 % of those requested to contribute) was overwhelmingly positive, with:
⭑ 81.25 % rating the project as “Absolutely Relevant” & 18.75 % as “Quite Relevant”;
⭑ 50.00 % found it “Quite Feasible” & another 43.75 % as “Absolutely Feasible”;
⭑ 68.75 % considered it “Absolutely Aligned” with the mission and goals of the Roots & remaining 31.25 % thought of it as “Quite Aligned”.
Quite a confidence and endorsement shown there for “Camp for Peace”! Now it is their turn to roll up the sleeves and open a new chapter in the history of YMCA Artsakh – something that we are sure will make all of us very proud… Again!